Monday, July 9, 2012

Little slice of Americana


Family, fireworks, and food--all tied up in a big red white and blue bow--the 4th of July is one of the more simple holidays. And despite the crazy heat that's been plaguing the East Coast, I managed to have a lovely day. The current weather has made me acutely aware that a code-red-heat-advisory-100-degree-call-in-FEMA-stay-inside-and-check-on-your-old-people kind of day in the US is just another sunny July day in Oman, but I'm trying not to dwell on unavoidable little facts like that. 

The morning of Independence Day found me a standing on the side of a road, watching our annual neighborhood parade, where people celebrating our nation's birth by staking out their patriotic chairs,
decking out their cars, 
waving to their children,
 and listening to some good 'ol fashioned brass music played from a truck bed.
 
After the parade (and more kebabs than could be good for anyone's health) I headed out to the fireworks with some friends. There, my camera continued to be a disgrace to photography everywhere. 
And as I watched thousands of dollars explode into pretty colored lights in the sky, I couldn't help but get a little bit caught up in the sometimes loud, sometimes excessive, always heartfelt 'merican spirit. What can I say? It's infectious. 
How was your 4th? 



No comments:

Post a Comment